Lisa L. Pittman
Lisa L. Pittman is an accomplished commercial litigation and business attorney who runs the Austin, Texas, office for Feldmann Nagel Margulis. As her practice has begun to span all aspects of cannabis business law, Ms. Pittman now also works in the Boulder and Denver offices of Feldmann Nagel Margulis and Feldmann Nagel Margulis Public Affairs, LLC.
Ms. Pittman draws upon seventeen years of courtroom experience to solve complex business disputes and to advise clients on the risks, liabilities, and lawsuit exposure inherent in the creation of new businesses and investment arrangements.
As part of her practice, Ms. Pittman:
- analyzes the ramifications of federal law and deciphers the requirements of individual state laws for all types of businesses operating in the cannabis industry.
- steps in to guide changing business structures and navigate cross-border transactions.
- assists governmental entities in the development of local rules, regulations, and licensing requirements in various states.
- counsels cannabis and CBD license applicants and holders on compliance, and vets and assembles teams of professionals to achieve her clients’ goals. Indeed, one of Ms. Pittman’s skills is nurturing the relationships in her vast network to bring the right people together to serve as tax, insurance, banking, and operational partners, for example, and managing teams on large projects.
- participates in legislative affairs and works with both business-oriented and activist groups on policy and messaging to legislators and the public.
- monitors cannabis related news and developments around the world on a daily basis, with her work often taking her to other states and countries.
- focuses on preparing for the direction the cannabis industry may go pending outcomes at the U.S. federal level on positions that will be taken on cannabis, CBD, and hemp products and commerce.
Throughout her career, Ms. Pittman has handled disputes in labor &
employment, breach of contract, commercial banking, fraud, fiduciary duty,
construction defect and injury, deceptive trade practices, premises liability,
professional liability, and product liability. She also possesses expertise
in commercial insurance coverage and experience with environmental regulatory
matters, including administrative law. These issues all apply to the cannabis
industry, but with added layers of state and local regulation, and the
ever-present federal law concerns permeating all cannabis business operations.
Ms. Pittman helps clients navigate these otherwise ordinary business issues
set in this constantly evolving territory. She began practicing in the
realm of cannabis law after being moved by reading the Texas Senate Bill
testimony of mothers with children with epilepsy in 2014.
Ms. Pittman is a leader in the American Bar Association, a nationwide membership network of elite attorneys. She presented its first cannabis Continuing Legal Education course at its annual meeting in New York City in August 2017. She is Vice-Chair of the Business Litigation and Corporate Counsel Committees of the Tort, Trial, and Insurance Law Section. In addition, she writes annual articles tracking the evolution of contract law across the country for the Law Journal, and serves on its Editorial Board.
She graduated from the American Bar Association’s Leadership Academy
in 2015 and the Austin Bar Association's Leadership Academy in 2016. She
recently graduated from Leadership Austin, Essentials Class of 2017, a
select group of seasoned community and corporate leaders chosen to influence
the growth of Austin, Texas.
Ms. Pittman’s passion is empowering women in health and business. In 2012, she founded a 501(c)(3) nonprofit called Executive Moms Society in Houston, Texas, to promote referrals, networking, and mentoring among female professionals, with educational and social events tailored toward the working mother. One of Executive Moms Society’s first meetings hosted Brene Brown at a speech and book signing. On May 12, 2017, the members hosted a private meeting with Facebook COO and “Lean In” author Sheryl Sandberg. In 2016, Ms. Pittman founded The Well Women Group, a company which will bring whole health options to women in a unique format. Ms. Pittman also participates in cannabis-oriented networking groups for women, and she generally seeks to foster leadership opportunities for women in business.
Ms. Pittman is frequently invited to speak at conferences, be interviewed, or write articles. Here are some recent examples:
- Cannabis Issues Every Realtor Should Know, May 24, 2018 (speaking) Boulder, CO
- Texas Medical Cannabis Science and Law, April 19, 2018 at the Houston Bar Association (speaking) Houston, TX
- Legal Discussion: Cannabis in Veterinary Medicine; Veterinary Cannabis Symposium, November 20, 2017 (speaking) Denver, CO
- Cannabis Industry Insights – The Risk Management and Industry Challenges, National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, September 25, 2017 (speaking) Denver, CO
- Austin Attorney Discovers Greener Pastures, Austin Lawyer, September 1, 2017. (Interview available here.)
- Changing Marijuana Industry Keeps Attorneys on Their Toes, Law360, August 11, 2017
- The Trajectory of Marijuana Law and How it Will Affect Your Practice, American Bar Association, August 11, 2017 (speaking) New York City, NY
- Legal Perspectives on Medical Cannabis and Intellectual Property, Canntelligence, July 27, 2017 (speaking) Houston, TX
- One Lawyer’s Fight to Change Medical Marijuana Laws in Texas, CW39 News Houston, July 25, 2017 (interview)
- The Grass is Actually Greener – Insight From a Cannabis In-House Lawyer, American Bar Association – Corporate Counsel Committee Newsletter, July 7, 2017
- Is It Inherently Texan to Legalize Marijuana? Dallas Morning News, July 5, 2017
- Meet the First Lady of Texas Cannabis Law, Houstonia Magazine, June 22, 2017
- Texas House Bill 2107 (Medical Marijuana) Public Health Committee Hearing, May 2, 2017 (testimony) Austin, TX
- Ask a Cannabis Lawyer, Southwest Cannabis Conference, April 22, 2016 (speaking) Fort Worth, TX
- The Status of Texas Cannabis Law, The Hemp & Garden Show, March 16, 2017 (speaking) Austin, TX
- Texas Department of Public Safety, Compassionate Use Program Hearing on Adoption of Final Rules, February 22, 2017 (testimony) Austin, TX
- Texas Cannabis Law, Texas Green Rushers, January 20, 2017 (speaking) Austin, TX
- Federal and State Cannabis Law for Physicians, Healthways Continuing Medical Education, January 7, 2017 (speaking) Dallas, TX
- Marijuana Business Litigation – Special Considerations, American Bar Association – Business Litigation Committee Newsletter, November 1, 2016
- Texas Marijuana Laws and Interactions with Law Enforcement, Texas Veterans Conference Legal Panel, October 15, 2016 (speaking) Austin, TX
Ms. Pittman is a proud native Texan. She earned her J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center in 2001, and undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1997. She is admitted to practice in all Texas state courts, as well as all four United States District Courts in Texas—the Western, Southern, Northern, and Eastern Districts. Her applications to the Colorado State Bar and United States District Court of Colorado are pending.
In her admittedly rare spare time, Ms. Pittman loves to attend live music shows, paint, read, travel, and enjoy the great outdoors with her son, daughter, and golden lab.