David J. Nagel
David J. Nagel is a founding partner in the law firm of Feldmann Nagel Cantafio PLLC (CO & TX), and Feldmann Nagel, LLP (CA), and has extensive experience in highly regulated industries including cannabis and hemp, liquor, consumer packaged supply chain goods, oil and gas, gaming, zoning/construction law, broadband, tax mitigation and securities.
With respect to cannabis and hemp, Mr. Nagel has practiced extensively in the marijuana industry since 2009, with experience in an array of areas affecting the cannabis industry, including:
- corporate structuring and operations, real estate, intellectual property,
- joint venture, deal documentation, IPOs, private placements/investor relations,
- licensing, rules and regulations, statutory authority, compliance,
- legislative and governmental relations, city, county, state, and federal,
- litigation involving IP infringement, partnership disputes and enforcement appeal related to pesticides and testing,
- import/exportation of hemp internationally, nationally, and state to state,
- Licensing applications in numerous states.
We cover every step in the marijuana process: cultivation, manufacturing and extraction, transportation and delivery, and all aspects of retail (medical and recreational). Mr. Nagel leads a team of experienced lawyers specializing in labeling, advertising, trademarks and most every facet of licensing, zoning, and cannabis and hemp law permitting. Mr. Nagel and his firm have represented cultivators, manufacturers, dispensaries, and ancillary companies providing a host of services, including but not limited to, testing labs, software manufacturers, consultants, governments (for legislative and rules promulgation), and even gaming companies seeking consultation to legitimize their coding and operating platforms. In addition, Mr. Nagel’s law firm has been a pioneer in providing legal, consulting and legislative services in the cannabis and hemp industries as illustrated more below.
The cannabis and hemp industries are rapidly developing arenas. Our firm’s experience has shown that flexibility and the ability to adapt and navigate the arduous ever-changing rules and regulations governing the industries are paramount to the success of our clients. The ability to stay continually informed and to adjust to the regulatory model changes has given our firm a proven track record of assisting clients with successful guidance and thought leadership through evolving landscapes.
The firm has cannabis and hemp expertise with respect to the interactions between state and local authorities, zoning laws and regulatory boards, an ability to collaborate with state and local officials in the application process, zoning process, and enforcement process (when necessary). The firm is a preferred legal provider to the Colorado Leads group (founding operators and firms) handling a variety of legal matters that arise in the industry’s roughly 2,000 licensees. The cannabis and hemp team provide comprehensive services based upon years of experience in the areas of, including and not limited to the following:
- preparation of licensing applications;
- working with the governmental enforcement divisions and the local licensing authorities;
- preparing proper testimony for mandatory needs and desires hearings;
- business licensing compliance;
- continuous navigation of the various aspects of the 3-governing body (state level) industry system;
- cannabis and hemp marketing and labeling compliance and approvals;
- land use and zoning approvals;
- purchasing and distribution analysis;
- preparation of distribution and import agreements;
- preparing marketing and sponsorship agreements and trade practice compliance analysis;
- corporate formation, private placements, and investor relations;
- licensing due diligence;
- employee certification requirements; and
- facilitation of division of enforcement compliance inspections at the state and local levels.
Mr. Nagel is a registered professional lobbyist (CO) and Of Counsel to Axiom Politics, with formidable relationships at the capitol. He is admitted to the Colorado and Texas Bars and is a C.P.A. (licensed in Texas) bringing vast experience from his business background having worked with Deloitte & Touche in Dallas, Texas, and Los Angeles, California, whereby he specialized in SEC reporting, white-collar crime, and shareholder derivative lawsuits. His client base includes Fortune 100 companies, and prior representations include Kimberly-Clark, Walmart, Herbalife, MGM Studios, Southland Corporation, Toshiba, and Louisiana State University (consulting with LSU and the La. Gov’s office when rolling out the state’s medical cannabis program).
Mr. Nagel clerked for the Honorable Steven R. Plotkin, 5th Appellate Circuit Court, State of Louisiana.
Mr. Nagel graduated from Tulane University Law School with a Juris Doctor, and argued the Phelps Dunbar Federal Court trial competition as a finalist, Moot Court Board. He also received his Bachelor of Business Administration in accounting from Stephen F. Austin State University in Texas, and was a department Scholastic Award recipient. Mr. Nagel enjoys mountain biking and skiing with his wife and two college kids during his time off. Mr. Nagel can be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the firm’s practice areas and other areas of highly regulated industries, please see further contents within our website.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Public Accountant, Texas
- Registered Professional Lobbyist, Colorado
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
Tulane Law School – New Orleans, Louisiana
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Argued the Phelps Dunbar Federal Court Trial Competition, Moot Court Board
Stephen F. Austin State University – Texas
- Honors: Beta Alpha Psi Honorary Society
- Honors: Department Scholastic Award Recipient
- Major: Accounting
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Restaurant Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Past Presidential Appointee National Conference of Attorneys and CPAs
- Urban Renewal Authorities Commission, Former Commissioner, Steamboat Springs
- Yampa Valley Community Foundation, Past Director, Board of Trustees
- Businessperson of the Year, Steamboat Springs Chamber, 2010
- American Bar Association, Business Section, Member
- Colorado Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Deloitte & Touche, Dallas, Texas, C.P.A.
- Deloitte Consulting, Los Angeles
- Hon. Steven R. Plotkin, 5th Appellate Court, New Orleans, Louisiana, Judicial Law Clerk