A divorce in one of the most difficult challenges anyone of us can face in a lifetime, and it can happen to anybody. The general rule of thumb is that at the very best, it can be an embarrassing situation, and at the very worst, it can be a devastating situation. Often times, I have heard a divorce described as a death in the family – or perhaps, the death of a family.
Still, based on my 17 years of experience, there are certainly actions one can take (or not take) that will make this difficult challenge a little bit easier. Here are my top 10 tips to help you through your divorce case:
- Be honest with your attorney. If you do not tell your attorney all of the facts, it will definitely harm your case in the long run.
- Be honest on your financial disclosures. The failure to disclose your correct income or an asset will lead to major problems down the road. It could also be grounds to set aside the ultimate Judgment or Settlement, and could even lead to perjury charges.
- In a case involving children, do not speak negatively about the other parent. While it will hurt you in the determination of your parental rights, even worse, it is wholly detrimental to your children.
- Do not use your children as pawns or as a bargaining chip.
- See a therapist. I almost always recommend that my clients see a therapist. This is the time to ask for help.
- Do not dissipate your funds or assets. When a divorce case is filed, an automatic injunction goes into place that prohibits either party from dissipating any funds or changing any insurance policies. If you do so, you will be in violation of this Court Order and could be held in contempt of court.
- Do not rush into a relationship with another person – especially if you have children.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise.
- See a financial planner. There are professionals who specialize in divorce financial planning. These professionals will help guide you to a more stable future.
- Have a positive vision of the future. I constantly remind my clients to please look ahead six to nine months down the road. No matter how difficult things may seem now, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and you will come out the other side.
The Domestic Team at Cantafio Feldmann Nagel will not only provide you with excellent legal representation, but will also provide you real compassion as you proceed through your divorce case. Please contact the Colorado divorce lawyers at Cantafio Feldmann Nagel for all of your family law needs.