Legal Separation in Colorado
Petitioning the court for a legal separation is one way for a married couple to temporarily separate their financial responsibilities, divide their marital assets, and live apart while they either work to save their marriage or come to the conclusion that their differences are irreconcilable. A legal separation can include requests for child custody, alimony/maintenance, and even a complete assets & debt division.
It is important to consider these factors when deciding whether you want to file for a legal separation rather than a divorce:
- Colorado is a no-fault state; therefore, the court only needs to see evidence that the marriage is irretrievably broken to grant a dissolution;
- You cannot be remarried while you are legally separated;
- Insurance and retirement benefits can be maintained while legally separated;
- You are still entitled to inheritances while legally separated; and
- You can avoid potential religious issues of being divorced through legal separation.
A knowledgeable Colorado legal separation lawyer from our firm will be able to answer any questions you have about legal separations and assist you in determining if a separation is right for you. If you have children from the marriage, their needs and best interests must also be taken into consideration. We can help you put together a parenting plan that details the proper care and agreements as they relate to the children. If, within six months of your separation, you come to the conclusion that divorce is imminent, our attorneys can enter a decree of dissolution on your behalf to have your marriage dissolved.
The attorneys at Feldmann Nagel Cantafio Margulis, PLLC are committed to providing our clients with high-quality, effective legal representation in a prompt, courteous, and professional manner. Our continued success comes from our team of dedicated and highly trained attorneys who, through their diverse educational backgrounds and years of practical experience, are able to give our clients the kind of representation they deserve.
Contact us today to consult a member of our team about legal separation.