Colorado Shoplifting Defense Attorneys
Penalties for Shoplifting in Colorado
Shoplifting is a common offense that carries with it some severe consequences. Many individuals shoplift without thinking of the long-term repercussions of the crime. An individual is charged with shoplifting for intentionally taking merchandise from a store or other commercial establishment without paying for the item or items. Depending on the quantity and price of the stolen merchandise, you could face serious theft charges that could land you in prison or jail with substantial fines to pay. A shoplifting conviction will also appear on your criminal record. Employers, landlords, and other individuals may be hesitant to trust someone with a history of theft. If you have been accused of shoplifting, it is important that you fight these charges with the assistance of a defense attorney.
Requirements of a Shoplifting Conviction
To secure a shoplifting conviction, the prosecution will have to prove the following beyond a reasonable doubt:
- That a store clerk or other individual saw you approaching the merchandise
- That someone saw you pick up or select the merchandise
- That you were seen concealing the item or that you carried it away
- That you did not pay for the item
- That a store clerk or individual associated with the store approached you about the stolen item outside the store
- That a single store clerk or other witness observed you throughout the entire shoplifting process from your approach to the merchandise to you walking out the door
At Feldmann Nagel Margulis, our defense lawyers know that if the prosecutor cannot prove all of the above circumstances listed, he or she does not have a strong case against you. Our firm has successfully defended a number of clients against shoplifting charges in the past. Given the prosecutor’s heavy reliance on potentially circumstantial evidence, you stand a good chance either that your charges will be dropped or your sentence will be reduced. Don't let a shoplifting conviction limit your ability to live a free and successful life. Call our firm today.