Contact Us Today!

What Can I Do if a Restraining Order Was Wrongfully Filed Against Me?

It isn’t unheard of for disgruntled spouses or partners to seek a restraining order against their partner. A temporary protection order (TPO) can cause significant issues for you, and can even affect your divorce or child custody case. If you have had a restraining order wrongfully filed against you, it is imperative to take action immediately.

What Should I Do About My Restraining Order?

Having a restraining order filed against you under false pretenses can cause you to lose access to your work, your home, and your family. Should this happen, you should speak with an experienced family law attorney. Your lawyer can help you document and collect evidence to support your innocence. Evidence may include text messages, voicemails, private messages, and emails. These can be used during the hearing to support your case.

It is also important to locate witnesses who can testify to your good moral character and support your claims. Your attorney can help you prepare your strategy for the hearing and coach you on your answers to questions you may be asked. Your hearing is an important event since it can help you defend yourself from the false protection order. The hearing will usually cone about 14 days after the TPO was issued, so time is of the essence when you are preparing. When it is time to appear in court, you should remain calm, rational, and composed. Appearing overly emotional may cause the judge to rule against you.

Get Help from Our Colorado Family Law Attorneys – (888) 458-0991

If you are facing a false restraining order, our legal team at Cantafio & Song PLLC can help you ensure fair treatment. Protection orders can be vital for those who are in abusive situations, but they can also be used as a weapon by a spiteful spouse. Wrongfully filed restraining orders can harm your future, which is why our Colorado family lawyers are dedicated to helping you protect yourself from false accusations.

Get in touch with our offices to learn more. Call (888) 458-0991 to request a free case evaluation.

Related Posts
  • Online Mediation in COVID-19 Read More
  • What is a Prenuptial Agreement and Who Should Have One? Read More
  • Colorado Family Law - Addressing the Violent Child Read More