Contact Us Today!

What To Do if you Have Lost Your License Pt. II: Points Issues

There are two main ways to lose your Colorado license; alcohol related issues and points related issues.

Under the points law, a driver will face a license suspension if they exceed the following amount of license points:

Minor Driver Points

16-17 years old

  • 6 or more points in 12 months
  • 7 total before age 18

18-20 years old

  • 9 points in 12 months
  • 12 points in 24 months
  • 14 points total before age 21

Adult Driver Points

21 years old or older

  • 12 points in 12 months
  • 18 points in 24 months

*Exception: Chauffer points- points incurred during the course of employment for a driver who has as a principal duty the operation of a motor vehicle (16 points in 12 months; 24 points in 24 months, 28 points in 48 months)

Once a driver has met or exceeded the maximum allowed points, the Department of Motor Vehicles will send a notice that a suspension will occur on a certain date. The driver can accept the suspension or schedule a hearing. At a hearing, the driver can present the facts surrounding each citation and other mitigating factors as well as request a probationary license (PDL).

The maximum possible suspension is 12 months with no driving privilege. A hearing officer is permitted to reduce the length and/or to authorize a probationary license. A driver may be eligible for a PDL under certain circumstances and would then be allowed to drive for work, childcare and other necessities.

If you are facing a suspension, an experienced attorney can represent you at a hearing and help you avoid a lengthy suspension. If you are close to a suspension, an attorney can help you protect your driving record, help you reduce the amount of points from a citation, and advise you on how to avoid a future suspension. The attorneys in the Criminal Practice Group at Cantafio & Song PLLC are well versed in the rules and regulations of the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles.

Contact our expert Criminal Law Group to assist you in your defense at (888) 458-0991.

Related Posts
  • Probable Cause During the COVID-19 Crisis: Will I get Pulled Over? Read More
  • Criminal Defense in a Pandemic Read More
  • Updated Prison Sentences for Second Degree Assault Read More